Head of Design & Technology
To lead the department through effective teaching, professional vision, and knowledge.
• To write the departmental section of the School Development Plan.
• To maintain and develop appropriate schemes of work.
• To arrange the deployment of teaching staff, in consultation with departmental members, with the Director of Studies, and within the constraints of the timetable.
• To oversee production of the Departmental Handbook.
• To monitor the quality of teaching and learning within the department through observation, testing, and team management.
• To act as a UCAS advisor.
• To promote extra-curricular activities related to the subject.
• To oversee external examination entries and all internal examinations.
• To attend meetings of the Heads of Department Forum.
• To ensure that Health and Safety procedures are followed.
• To liaise with tutors and Heads of School over matters of individual pupil progress and behaviour.
• To develop and monitor a departmental marking policy that fits within the school framework for assessment.
• To maintain and monitor appropriate pupil achievement records.
• To produce a bid for and then manage the departmental budget.
To guide the writing of Reports in the subject, the provision of subject information to parents, attendance by departmental members at Parents’ Evenings and response to subject-related parental enquiries.
• To ensure that an annual stock check and inventory of equipment is carried out, to maintain the quality of resources, and to ensure that valuable items are security marked.
• To monitor the quality of the teaching environment and to liaise with The Bursar as necessary.
• To keep ahead of changes to both technology and the specifications relating to the subject.
• To set, and organise the marking for, admissions examinations and feed back to Prep/Junior schools.
• To organise a yearly meeting with feeder school Heads of Department to discuss matters of common interest.
• To conduct and minute departmental meetings, and forward the minutes to the Deputy Head (Academic).
• To encourage the sharing of good practice in the department and promote professional development opportunities to all departmental members.
• To mentor teachers new to the school and NQTs.
• To play an appropriate part in the Professional Development Review of Teachers. 9
D&T Association is not responsible for the content of these uploaded files.
Job reference: Head of DT
Posted On11th March 2019
SalarySalary above that of the maintained sector. Accomodation may be provided.
SpecialismsDesign and Technology Teacher
Job LevelsExperienced (non manager)
Apply By20th March 2019
Start Date2nd September 2019
Merchant Taylors' SchoolView Recruiter
Create job alert
Reduce the time spent looking for jobs with custom notifications. Job alerts will select vacancies matching your preferred criteria and email jobs directly to you.Create job alert